Get Flash

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Responding to Uganda's blood crisis...

Rob, Development Director at River of Life Uganda, tells us about confronting his fears...

For some reason, I've always been afraid to give blood. Fortunately for me the UK Blood Service has never wanted my blood, as I've always been just back from a malarial region. But I'm one of those people that embarrassingly faint when having injections anyway, and the nervousness of someone taking a pint of blood out of me has always trumped the obvious need for donors.

Dr Sarah gives blood
That was until yesterday, when we got the call from Dr Sarah, River of Life's long-term missionary seconded to Kitovu Hospital: "Rob, we need blood donors. Three children died on the ward over the weekend, simply because there is no blood. Can you round up some of the White Eagles and staff and come and donate?"

Now, although the Ugandan Blood Service is as diligent in screening blood as anywhere else, the whole "I've just got back from a Malarial region" wasn't going to wash. We're in a malarial region. And anyway, children were dying.

For you blood donors out there, you know this is not a big deal AT ALL. But for those of us responding to that call for the first time, it's fair to say we were more than a little nervous. Uganda has a blood crisis at the moment - it's school holiday time and the whole nation is running very low on blood. Why? Because the main donor-base are older school children, who love the opportunity to get a free soda and a biscuit, and to miss an hour of lessons. The great news is that there is a generation of young Ugandans growing routinely donating blood. The bad news for me was that I was going to have to face my fears. But doesn't the bible say we are more than conquerors?

So off we went. And because Elder Betty had inspired us with a word of encouragement earlier in the week that as leaders, we were to lead by example, I gave blood straight after David, one of the other ROL Directors.

Beth giving blood 
And yes, I fainted. Not at actually giving blood you understand, but at the little finger-prick thing they do first to test your blood group. And yes, they had to set up a special bed for me outside. And yes, I had to hold Dr Sarah's hand whilst they took the blood. But, do you know what? It was absolutely fine. And today I woke and could say for the first time in my life that I've donated blood, and will probably save a life.

Gerald, Beth, Kayima and Sarah followed suite with far less fuss - although big respect to Beth also donating for the first time! (she managed not to make as much of a fool of herself as me)

In the next few weeks we'll invite the mobile blood bank down to church, and encourage as many as possible from the community to donate. We'll let you know how we get on...

No comments: